Thursday, December 31, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life II

With the year drawing to a close, unceremoniously as it were for me, and despite me not really prone to reflect on the passing year or conjure up resolutions for the new one that will inevitably be forgotten before spring, it would be a bit sophomoric if I didn’t look back on 2009 and acknowledge what an extraordinary year it has been for me personally; what a life-changing and life–affirming set of months it has been learning all the glories and horrors of Africa, and trying my best to be mommy to five needy children.

I would also be remised to not thank each of you have supported me during this year: all of you who have read the blog, all of you who have given generously, all of you who have offered kind words of encouragement. Just yesterday, after receiving another donation from a friend in the States, one of many from some of you whom I haven’t seen in years, some of you whom I don’t know well, some of you in fact who are total strangers, I felt like I was transported into the body of Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life dumbfounded and touched by all of the people coming with assistance for me and my orphans especially during this holiday season.


My work here could absolutely not happen without your help in all its forms and for that I truly am forever grateful. A special debt of gratitude goes out to Rachel Stankowski, Mari Giusti, Woo Jin Shim, Brian Stai and my sister, Melanie for organizing fundraisers that occurred in recent months, and of course to my Ugandan family, the Balazas, and my real family in America, the Cranes, without whose bi-continental support none of this could be possible.


Thank you again for all of your kindness and Happy New Year!


Natalie

1 comment: